Re: ping hostnames ala windows ping.exe?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:08:56 +1000
Lachlan <lachlan.00@gmail.com> wrote:

> i've started using lenny for my work pc and there's a feature of the
> windows ping.exe that i'm trying to find in linux.

 - You have inetutils-ping and iputils-ping packages in lenny to have the ping utility.

> something in windows i've used a lot is pinging by hostname to find
> the ip of the pc i'm looking for.
> a lot of things i've been doing require me to enter the ip not hostname.
>
> i've looked at arping, sing and oping but i haven't had any luck
> accepting anything other than ip's.

 - To let you check ip of a hostname, you must have a dns working and you can use something else than ping.
The host command for example.
root@solex:~# host www.google.com
www.google.com          CNAME   www.l.google.com
www.l.google.com        A       64.233.183.147
www.l.google.com        A       64.233.183.99
www.l.google.com        A       64.233.183.103
www.l.google.com        A       64.233.183.104
root@solex:~#

> all i'm looking for is something along the lines of ~$ hostping
> -usehostnames computerhostname
> from the commandline.
>
> i'll be using this laptop in a lot of different offices so will i have
> to add dns info to my /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf for each
> network?

 - And using different office will not permit you to add hardcoded dns info in /etc/resolv.conf as certainly, each offices will have their own dns server. I guess.

Regards,

manou