exim4 authentication in etch?

I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured exim4, put the user:password in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to send a message. The entry in /var/log/exim4/mainlog showed authentication required. I had saved a debian users posting from Jan 2006 explaining how to modify the exim4.conf.template adding a line "hosts_require_auth = outgoing.verizon.net" but the instructions don't match the current exim4.conf.template file. Does anyone have a current instruction or reference for the needed modification?

Tom