Re: exim4 authentication in etch?

Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
> exim4, put the user:password in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
> send a message. [...]

"man exim4_passwd_client" says

    The file should contain lines of the form

    target.mail.server.example:login-user-name:password

    which will cause exim to use login-user-name and password
    when sending messages to a server with the canonical host name
    target.mail.server.example.

It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
setting the routing correctly (I assume that a smarthost would override
this, for example), but I haven't tried it myself. Yet.

Chris