Re: mailing lists for shell customization, Gnome, where to put libraries

On Sun,07.Sep.08, 11:31:38, David Bernier wrote:
> Dear Debian-user:
>
> I'd be interested to know of mailing lists which would be
> appropriate for customizing the way the shell works,
> customizing Gnome, the right directories for plug-ins, etc.

What's wrong with this list? :D If you are running Debian it is always
better to ask here first, because you might be seeing Debian specific
behaviour.

> For example, I'd like to shorten the prompt in the bash shell:
>
> david@debian:~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring$ echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash
>
> david@debian:~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring$ pwd
> /home/david/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring
>
> I find "~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring" too long.

Check your PS1 in '.bashrc'. I am using the colored one, but changed it
to only display the current directory:

PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\W\[\033[00m\]\$ '

For more details check bash's man page.

> Recently, I got the new *.so from Adobe for the Flash   Plug-in.
> For the Galeon browser, it turns out that /usr/ ... /mozila/ .. /
> is the correct directory to put the plugin in, but
> under mozilla, the *.so has a name starting with:
>  mozilla*.so  (i.e. starts with mozilla, ends with .so).
>
> Adobe's unpacked new Flash plug-in comes under a name
> different from mozilla*.so ;  so by renaming the old plug-in and giving
> the .so from Adobe the name of the old plug-in, Galeon was
> able to use the new Flash plug-in.

And what seems to be the problem? Are you aware that the Adobe plugin is
available in the contrib section of the repository?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)