mailing lists for shell customization, Gnome, where to put libraries

Dear Debian-user:

I'd be interested to know of mailing lists which would be
appropriate for customizing the way the shell works,
customizing Gnome, the right directories for plug-ins, etc.

For example, I'd like to shorten the prompt in the bash shell:

david@debian:~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

david@debian:~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring$ pwd
/home/david/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring

I find "~/TESTS_C_LANG/factoring" too long.

Recently, I got the new *.so from Adobe for the Flash   Plug-in.
For the Galeon browser, it turns out that /usr/ ... /mozila/ .. /
is the correct directory to put the plugin in, but
under mozilla, the *.so has a name starting with:
 mozilla*.so  (i.e. starts with mozilla, ends with .so).

Adobe's unpacked new Flash plug-in comes under a name
different from mozilla*.so ;  so by renaming the old plug-in and giving
the .so from Adobe the name of the old plug-in, Galeon was
able to use the new Flash plug-in.

So I'm asking about mailing lists or newsgroups about
these topics.

David Bernier