sending data from masqueraded system

Folk,

My home network is described here.
http://carnot.yi.org/DebianPage.html#Network

Joule has Shorewall which masquerades the
other two systems in the LAN.  All was fine
until the August 31 weekend when I updated
Lenny on Joule.

Subsequent to the update, a masqueraded
system is unable to send a non-trivial stream
by FTP or by SMTP.  Large files can still be
retrieved by FTP and large messages can be
retrieved by POP3.  I've seen no problems for
FTP from Joule.

"CLAMPMMS=Yes" in shorewall.conf yields no
change and shorewall is unlikely to be the culprit.

Has anyone seen any similar communications
problems in Lenny recently?

Any suggestions for investigating with tcpdump
for example?

Thanks for any ideas,         ... Peter E.

--
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/
http://carnot.yi.org/ = http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/