Re: ssh and X display forwarding

On Monday 01 Sep 2008, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > Alan Chandler:
> >> I ssh into my server, but when I get there the DISPLAY variable is
> >> not set up, meaning I can't run graphical programs.
> >
> > What command line are you using?
> >
> > $ ssh -Y server
> >
> > should suffice.
> >
> >> On my desktop
> >>
> >> /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc has the ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten TCP
> >> commented out
> >
> > Not necessary.
> >
> >> /etc/ssh/ssh_config specifies X11Forwarding as yes
> >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server also allows X11Forwarding
> >
> > Good.
> >
> >> I have run xhost during start up, so the server is an allowed
> >> connector to my display.
> >
> > Not necessary.
>
> In fact the point of using ssh is to not have to open up your
> X-server other than to localhost. Check the setup of your ssh server.
> The ssh server needs to create a "virtual" X display on the box you
> ar ssh-ing into, and forward that through to your real display. Then
> the name of that virtual display (e.g. localhost:10.0) needs to be
> allowed into the environment on the box you are ssh-ing into. Check
> the manual sshd_config(5).

Thanks that has helped me both understand something and to fix the
problem.

According to aptitude, my x-base-client package on the server was in the
c state (it think it got there in a muck up with the config some time
ago).  As a result xauth was not installed.

Changed the state to i and xauth installs and now it all works. Thanks.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk