Re: can't configure networking for static IP address

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:58:01AM -0700, Vwaju wrote:
> On Aug 10, 5:10 pm, Alex Samad <a...@samad.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:48:48PM -0700, Vwaju wrote:
> >
> Hi, Alex --
>
> For some reason, I can't get linux.debian.user to post my reply.  I
> tried "Reply" twice, and my comments disappear into Tumbolia.
>
> Here is my response to your helpful observations.
>
> > > I edited /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:
> >
> > > # The loopback network interface
> > > auto lo
> > > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > > # The primary network interface
> > > auto eth0
> >
> > > # configured for DHCP during Debian installation
> > > # iface eth0 int dhcp
> >
> > > iface eth0 inet static
> > > address    207.237.37.110
> > > netmask    255.255.255.224
> > > network    207.237.37.96
> > > broadcast  207.237.37.127
> > > gateway    207.237.37.97
> >
> > where did you get this info from ?
>
> I got this from Linux System Administration (O'Reilly, 2007).
> Virtually the same info is also available at
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge_p3

I am presuming you meant the structure and not the numbers

[snip]

> > > jupiter:~# hostname
> > >   jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
> (shouldn't this be *just* the host name?)

yep

> > > jupiter:~# hostname -f
> > >   jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
> >
> > my hostname produces
> > hufpuf
> >
> > hostname -f produces
> > hufpuf.lan1.hme1.samad.com.au
> > and cat /etc/hostname
> > hufpuf
> >
> > take it as you want
>
> How does your /etc/hosts file read?

the relevant bits
127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.localdomain

192.168.11.10	hufpuf.lan1.hme1.samad.com.au

> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > > Now, I test the network configuration:
> >
> > > jupiter:~# ping 209.200.229.100
> > >   From 207.237.37.110 icmp_seq Destination Host Unreachable
> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >
> > before doing this first ping the first hop - the default gateway from
> > above its
> >
> > ping -c 5 207.237.37.97
>
> Yes, I can ping the gateway!
I presume this is with the 207.237.37.110 address

> > if that works try the dns servers
> >
> > ping -c 5 207.172.3.8
>
> No, I can't ping the DNS server
This is not 100% conclusive, they might only allow dns packets to these
servers

> > if that works try ping 209.200.229.100 again, but in another window do a
> > tcpdump -pni eth0 and see what happens to the packets
>
> At your suggestion, I have downloaded and installed tcpdump, but I
> think it's going to take me some study (well worth it, I'm sure) to
> learn how to use it.

tcpdump will let you look at the packets that your network card sees, in
the example above (pinging the dns server), it will tell you if you are
getting icmp packets back, or if the packets are going and not coming
back.

[snip]

> I should have mentioned that I have a broadband connection via
> Ethernet to the internet through an RCN cable modem.  I suspect that
> this modem is proprietary, and not DOCSIS-compliant.
>
> I should also mention that there are 2 other Windows machines
> connected through this same modem.  ipchicken.com reports that correct
> static IP address for both of them.)
>
> I should also mention that although I am paying RCN $20/month for my
> static IP address, they would only divulge the address when I took the
> matter to their "corporate escalations" department.  When they finally
> gave me the IP address (and the other network parameters) they
> mentioned that my address was "not truly static" (while claiming that
> it was the same type of address that they assign to their corporate
> clients running internet servers.  I don't know what "not truly
> static" means, but I don't like the sound of it.  Could this be at the
> root of my problem.

talk to your isp, tell them your problem with the static ip address.

[snip]

> Thanks & Best Regards,
> Vwaju
> NYC

Good luck

--
"I mean, I read the newspaper. I mean, I can tell you what the headlines are. I must confess, if I think the story is, like, not a fair appraisal, I'll move on. But I know what the story's about."

	- George W. Bush
12/12/2005
Philadelphia, PA