Re: can't configure networking for static IP address

On Sun August 10 2008 16:35:02 Vwaju wrote:
> > > I am running Debian sarge, because that is the version that was used
> > > in the book I am following to learn how to build an internet server.
> > > I realize this raises security issues, but I am not building a
> > > production server, only a *training* server.
> > >
> > > More to the point:  Although sarge is no longer state-of-the-art, I
> > > assume it should still be possible to configure it as an internet
> > > server with a static IP address!
> >
> > As you've been told several times, sarge is not suited for the Big Bad
> > Internet. I think you can use etch instead, the differences won't be
> > that big and the release notes can help.

Sarge can certainly be used on the Internet.  I would be concerned about
the security of any network applications running under Sarge, but it's
OK for learning.  Nevertheless, you'd be better off using Etch.

The thing about networking is that packets have to get from one end to
the other and back.  That's all.  It's real easy, but it's not magic.

It's seldom sufficient to configure your box and hope that will make your
network work.  Does your box know how to send packets to the next box in
the network?  Does the next box know how to send packets from your box
further down the line?  And does the next box, when it receives packets
from further down the line, know to send those packets to your box?

For example, have you set a correct default route on your box, and have
you told the next box (your router) to send incoming/returning packets
to your box?

--Mike Bird