Re: can't configure networking for static IP address

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 06:37:02 +1000, Alex Samad (alex@samad.com.au) wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:58:01AM -0700, Vwaju wrote:

> > Here is my response to your helpful observations.

> > > where did you get this info from ?
> >
> > I got this from Linux System Administration (O'Reilly, 2007).
> > Virtually the same info is also available at
> > http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge_p3
>
> I am presuming you meant the structure and not the numbers

The IP address 207.237.37.110 matches that in the OP's email headers and
appears to be a static IP:
207-237-37-110.c3-0.nyr-ubr2.nyr.ny.static.cable.rcn.com

So at least that one is right.

What concerns me is that these settings are in the OP's
/etc/network/interfaces at all.  I would expect to find them in the
router (or modem/router) and /etc/network/interfaces to contain only
private addresses (192.168 etc).  Assuming the router is doing NAT.

[snip]

> > I should also mention that although I am paying RCN $20/month for my
> > static IP address, they would only divulge the address when I took the
> > matter to their "corporate escalations" department.  When they finally
> > gave me the IP address (and the other network parameters) they
> > mentioned that my address was "not truly static" (while claiming that
> > it was the same type of address that they assign to their corporate
> > clients running internet servers.  I don't know what "not truly
> > static" means, but I don't like the sound of it.  Could this be at the
> > root of my problem.

The ISP probably means "it's a static IP, but we cannot guarantee that
you will always have the same static IP".  This is not really a
contradiction in terms as the IP appears not to be listed as dynamic.

> talk to your isp, tell them your problem with the static ip address.

Good advice.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.