Re: can't configure networking for static IP address

On Sun,10.Aug.08, 12:48:48, Vwaju wrote:

[...]

> I installed Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 and, with networking
> configured for DHCP, I am able to connect to the Internet, ftp, http,
> etc.
>
> I am building an internet server, so I need to reconfigure networking
> to use a static IP address.  I edited /etc/network/interfaces, using
> the static IP address leased to me by my RCN (and the other network
> parameters RCN provided).

[...]

> iface eth0 inet static
> address	207.237.37.110
> netmask	255.255.255.224
> network	207.237.37.96
> broadcast	207.237.37.127
> gateway	207.237.37.97

[...]

> Relevant observation:
>
> With the network configured for DHCP, when I run ifconfig I get:
>
> Inet addr:	192.168.2.3
> Bcast:		192.168.2.255
> Mask:		255.255.255.0

How is your computer *physically* connected to the internet?

(BTW, you should read on private network addresses [1] )

> Full Disclosure
>
> I am running Debian sarge, because that is the version that was used
> in the book I am following to learn how to build an internet server.
> I realize this raises security issues, but I am not building a
> production server, only a *training* server.
>
> More to the point:  Although sarge is no longer state-of-the-art, I
> assume it should still be possible to configure it as an internet
> server with a static IP address!

As you've been told several times, sarge is not suited for the Big Bad
Internet. I think you can use etch instead, the differences won't be
that big and the release notes can help.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)