Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
<snipped>

I think I will once more look it over, if for no other reason then Ron
Johnson will not snicker at me.

well i don't "know" Ron but given what i have read i wouldn't bet on that. :D

I moved from apt-get to aptitude and now I don't even think about it anymore. This was a while back and it seemed like aptitude wanted to remove everything and start over. After a bit of research and some alcohol I dove in. Now I use aptitude in place of apt-get at the command line.

Instead of:

sudo apt-get install foo

i do:

sudo aptitude install foo

there are a few differences in searching and the like, but i almost never use "apt-get" anymore.

there's an (older) blog about it on my site that you could take a look at. it really needs updating, but might give you an idea of some of the differences.

it's called "I've got a new Aptitude"

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/