Re: suspend / hibernate

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:07:07AM +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:

> How do you monitor load when suspending / hibernating? On a
> different console?

we're talking about system load that's still hanging around *after*
resuming. When the system comes back up, and you get control back, the
system load will be very high for several seconds or more depending on
who it is...

> >> I hibernate with s2disk onto an encrypted swap partition. There is
> >> definitely a lot of activity going on when it comes up... lots of disk
> >> activity. But its a transient problem and doesn't really affect
> >> usability that I've noticed.
>
> Slight thread hijack but the problem I have is that hibernate works
> and I am able to recover on restart but suspend shuts down but does
> not recover. All I get is a lighted up screen (which becomes normal in
> case of hibernate)
> I have been using the Gnome desktop GUI for suspending /hibernating.
> On HP-TX1000 laptop right now the kernel is 2.6.24-19-generic on
> Ubuntu but the problem was same in Debian.

do you mean suspending to ram? That's a trickier deal than suspending
to disk, or hibernating. There are many possible factors involved
including whether or not to rePOST the video adapter and so
forth. read man s2ram as a starter...