Re: suspend / hibernate

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:09:39 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 12:28:50AM +0930, Dale wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
> > suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
> > very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
> > this problem.  I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
> > a lost how to debug it.
> >
> > If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated
>
> I can't help, but I can confirm it. I see it on my Linux Certified
> laptop, which is some kind of Asus repackage job. I see system load
> spike as high as 15 or so for a few seconds and then it ramps back
> down to normal after a few more seconds. I've always assumed (I know,
> I know) that it was just some housekeeping involved with the recovery
> from hibernate.

I used to often see CPU load at 100%, and for more than a few seconds
(indefinitely?), and IIRC, top showed that it was DBUS / HAL (I don't
recall exactly which process it was, and I don't have a very good
understanding of DBUS / HAL).  Doing something like '/etc/init.d/dbus
restart' would drop the load back to normal.  I don't think I've seen
the problem recently.  Currently at 2.6.25.

This is an Acer Aspire 3690-2672, Celeron M 420 @ 1.6 GhZ.

> I hibernate with s2disk onto an encrypted swap partition. There is
> definitely a lot of activity going on when it comes up... lots of disk
> activity. But its a transient problem and doesn't really affect
> usability that I've noticed.

hibernate script, calling tuxonice / suspend2

Celejar