Re: Benefits (and risks) of using Sid

Kent West wrote:
andy wrote:
Hi all

This is just a general enquiry about the benefits of using Sid on a desktop or a workstation. Aside from obtaining up-to-the-minute software (and related patches), are there any other benefits to using Sid? I am aware of the risks - i.e. frequently broken applications - but to be honest, how often does this happen?

I run Sid on my workstations; it's as stable as any Windows box I've ever run

With respect Kent, that is hardly a ringing endorsement!! :)

The read advantage of Sid over Testing is when breakage does occur. With Testing, you may have to wait a week or two before the fix comes along; with Sid, the fix is often available within a day or two (not always, but often). The disadvantage is that breakage usually occurs more often than in Testing, but as a general rule, such breakage is confined to a small subset of the system (again, not always.)

That's a fair point. I currently run stable (Lenny) because it seemed to be a good balance between (relatively) up-to-date software that has (mostly) had its bugs worked through.

Every once in a while a bug will creep in that will totally hose things for a while, and may take some expertise and/or a learning curve to fix, but like I say, my Sid experience over the past almost-decade has been less-problematic than my Windows experiences over twice that time.
It's this "expertise" that concerns me. I used to feel more confident in using Slackware than I do using Debian, although I was far more into fixing things and peering under the hood in those days than I am today and I guess after a few years of using a distro one gets to know it pretty well. The Debian-way does remain a bit of a mystery to me however.

For a server or other mission-critical role, I'd suggest you stay with Stable.

That's a reasonable suggestion, and I probably will do so. However, your reply does help address my query - thanks.