hard drive problem

I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into another with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out smoothly.

The first drive is 40Gb and seems fine, but the second, a 750Gb drive, has a partition that won't mount. In fact there is also a partition on the first drive that's not mounting. But linux loads.

In the previous machine, I had used the defaults for the hard drive hardware config, so it had 'cable select' which determined that the 750Gb drive was the slave.

This didn't work in the current machine where I've just installed them. When I first booted, the BIOS didn't recognise the hard drives and I had to specifically set the 750Gb hard drive jumper onto Slave.

Now it boots up, the BIOS detects the 2 drives correctly, but then linux says:

fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to read /dev/hdc1
/dev/hdc1: the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem

/dev/hda6: clean, 11/3424256 files 151509/6839665 blocks

fsck died with exit status 8
failed (code 8)

... and dumps me into a maintenance shell. So it seems to me that there must be something in the partition table that is stopping the disks being mounted. Is there anything I can do to rescue the situation? Obviously I don't want to lose the data on the harddrives, but if I have to struggle for hours then I'd rather sacrifice the data and repartition.

Thanks
Adam