Re: error messages from apt-get

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 07:37:33 -0700, Vwaju (lou@manhattanhandyman.com) wrote:

> On Aug 1, 9:40 am, Jochen Schulz <m...@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> > Vwaju:
> >

> > > I am setting up an internet server as a training exercise, using the
> > > O'Reilly book referenced at the top of this thread.  The server is
> > > only for training (to learn Debian and networking).
>
> > If it's not publicly available, you could do that. But since lenny is
> > already on its way, I really don't see a point in that. What exactly do
> > you need xlispstat for anyway? Couldn't you just go ahead without it?
>
> I tried leaving out xlispstat, but next I found that libdb3++-dev is
> also missing.  (The search function is down on the Debian sight, so I
> don't know what libdb3++-dev is.)

http://packages.debian.org/libdb3++-dev shows that this is also
available only in Sarge.

"..Package: libdb3++-dev

Berkeley v3 Database Libraries for C++ [development]

This is the development package which contains headers and static
libraries for the Berkeley v3 database library. This is only for
programs which will use the C++ interface.

Many programs use the Berkeley Database to store their data. Other
versions of the database can be found in the db2, db4.0, db4.1 and db4.2
packages.."

> The reason  I'm using the O'Reilly book is my lack of knowledge about
> networking.  The book is a "cookbook" -- very short on underlying
> theory and explanations of "why".  The idea is that you build the
> server using their instructions as a guide, and in the process you
> learn what it is that you're actually doing.
>
> If I start leaving things out that are prescribed by the book, in my
> present state of ignorance I'll have a difficult time figuring out
> what's going on when my results don't conform to the book, and my
> progress will be *very slow*.
>
> > >  Therefore, maybe I could install the version of Debian that was
> > > current in 2007 (when the book was written).  Would that be "sarge"?
>
> > Etch was released in April 2007, the book probably had an unfortunate
> > publishing date.
>
> Was sarge the one before Etch?  Is sarge still available?

Yes and yes

http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.