Re: error messages from apt-get

On Aug 1, 6:20 am, Jochen Schulz <m...@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Jochen Schulz:
>

> > You could try that but then you'd have to make sure that you don't
> > install other things from sarge as well without you noticing it. And you
> > might get dependency problems when packages from etch with packages from
> > sarge.
>
> I meant to write: ...when packages from etch *conflict* with packages
> from sarge.
>
> J.
> --
> Nothing is as I planned it.
> [Agree]   [Disagree]
>                  <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>
>
>  signature.asc
> 1KDownload

Jochen Thank you again for your help with this!

Here's a thought.

I am setting up an internet server as a training exercise, using the
O'Reilly book referenced at the top of this thread.  The server is
only for training (to learn Debian and networking).

 Therefore, maybe I could install the version of Debian that was
current in 2007 (when the book was written).  Would that be "sarge"?

Then, I'm guessing I wouldn't have to deal with this problem of
obsolete packages.  Once I've learned how to build an internet server
without O'Reilly holding my hand, I could update to the current stable
version of Debian.

Assuming this makes sense, how would I get the sarge equivalent of
debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso?

Again, thanks for your very valuable help!

Best Regards,

Vwaju
New York City