Re: Switching from ipw3945 to iwl3945 driver]

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:37:00PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 04 Feb 2008, Peter Jordan wrote:
> > Anthony Campbell, 02/04/08 10:34:

> > > Unfortunately there does not seem to be an alternative for me. I had
> > > another go at it last night. I set up things according to the advice on
> > > the above site. Everything looked correct according to "ip a" and
> > > "/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules", but nothing happened: the
> > > indicator light never flickered to show the netwerk card was trying to
> > > connect. This is what has always happened previously when I've tried to
> > > use iwl3945. And I get this message:
> > >
> > > 	wlan0: unknown hardware address type 801.
> > >
> > > I googled for this and found some people on Ubuntu getting the same
> > > thing but no obvious clue to what is wrong.
> > >
> > > Anthony
> > >

> > The led function will be implemented later.
> > Make sure, dhcp3-client is installed. That solved all my problems with
> > iwl3945.
> >
> > PJ
>
> I already have dhcp3-client. I tried again, and no longer get the
> "unknown hardware address type 801" error, which is progress of a
sort,

I get those errors on my laptop, but they seem unrelated to actual
function of the card. It seems to work despite them

> I suppose. According to iwconfig and syslog the card has been detected
> and appears to be working but it is not connecting. And I have "wlan0:
> no wireless extensions."

I think that means that the card is not "on". Look in
/sys/class/mumblemumblemumble/iwl3945/device/rf_kill. It should be 0
for the card to be on, 1 for the card to be off, by way of the radio
control button/switch on your machine.