Re: Switching from ipw3945 to iwl3945 driver]

On 02 Feb 2008, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you do not own any hardware with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi
> cards, you can stop reading now.
>
> The 2.6.24 kernel has recently hit unstable, and it contains a new
> shiny iwl3945 driver which should replace the old ipw3945 one. The
> good news is that you will no longer need to run the ipw3945d binary
> daemon, the bad news is that binary firmware is still required (but it
> is available as a package). The plan is to remove ipw3945-modules-*
> and ipw3945d packages from the archive as soon as 2.6.24 kernel hits
> testing. Because of that, everyone running unstable and using ipw3945
> is encouraged to switch to using 2.6.24 and iwl3945 driver as soon as
> possible. The switching instructions are available at
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
>
> I've only tested this procedure myself, so feel free to contribute
> additional information to the wiki page, and reply to this thread if
> you encounter any problems (cc me in this case, as I'm not on d-u).

I really wish this "improvement" would not be forced on anyone who wants
to use the 2.6.24 kernel. In spite of numerous attempts over the last
few months I've never managed to get the new system to work. For 2.6.23
I managed to compile my own ipw3945-modules but I can't do that for
2.6.24. So I'm stuck with the older kernels for the foreseeable future.
Why can't we have the option to use the older system if we want to?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian