Re: k3b won't burn, nerolinux will

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 06:54:01 -0500, Paul Cartwright (ale@pcartwright.com) wrote:

> On Mon December 29 2008, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > k3b uses wodim as a backend, so I think the problem is with wodim.
> > I tried it on a Philips CD/DVD writer SDVD6004.  That gave the fewest
> > errors, but the disks were useless afterward.  They caused errors when
> > read in the same drive.  They could be read (sometimes) on other drives.
>
> so, I'm trying to figure out exactly what packages are uses here, with K3B, to
> burn a disc.. I see the cdrdao package that uses DAO mode, but where is
> SAO...
> here are the versions of applicable software I have installed:
>
> pbc@paulandcilla:~/movies$ dpkg --list cdrdao
> ii  cdrdao         1:1.2.2-16     records CDs in Disk-At-Once (DAO) mode
>

> ii  wodim          9:1.1.9-1      command line CD/DVD writing tool
>
> ii  genisoimage    9:1.1.9-1      Creates ISO-9660 CD-ROM filesystem images

If it's any help, I use k3b to burn DVDs almost daily and have exactly
these same versions installed.   I cannot remember when I last had any
sort of failure or problem.

> # apt-cache search wodim
> cdrdao - records CDs in Disk-At-Once (DAO) mode
> cdrecord - Dummy transition package for wodim
> cdrkit-doc - Documentation for the cdrkit package suite
> cdw - Tool for burning CD's - console version
> genisoimage - Creates ISO-9660 CD-ROM filesystem images
> gramofile - Transfer sound from gramophone records to CD
> wodim - command line CD/DVD writing tool
>
> it shows cdrkit-doc, but not cdrkit. it shows cdrdao, but what gives you SAO??
> I might try to remove/purge these, and reinstall.. maybe an older version
> might work, but that might also break things..

There is no cdrkit package available, just cdrkit-doc, which is the documentation
for genisoimage, icedax and wodim.  (See
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/cdrkit-doc )

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.