Re: Java on Debian

Amit Uttamchandani wrote, on 25/12/08 17:55:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:03:15 -0600
"Jordi Guti__rrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/12/17 Girish Kulkarni <girish@hri.res.in>:
1. What is the Java Runtime Environment?  And the Java Development Kit?
The JRE includes a virtual machine for running Java programs, the JDK
is stuff like the Java compiler and associated programs you need to
build and debug Java code.

2. What is my compiler?  My Virtual Machine?
You can choose to use Java's non-free javac compiler (apt-cache search
sun java jdk), gcj, or OpenJDK.

3. Are there any free software implementations of Java?
Yeah, gcj and OpenJDK are the big ones. OpenJDK is a fully comformant
implementation of Java and I have not run into any problems with it at
all; it's Sun's official open implementation of Java.

Unfortunately, OpenJDK is too new to be packaged for etch, but you can
try to build it from sources.

I have lenny and in this case what is the difference between IcedTea
and OpenJDK? I tried installing all of those packages but still can't
get iceweasel to run java programs.

There is java-gcj-compat-plugin if you're running java-gcj-compat or sun-java6-plugin if you're running sun-java6-bin.