About Release-critial bugs page

Every now and then I take a look at the Release-critical bugs status page and I have a question. Since the release of Etch, in addition to showing bug counts for the 'next stable release' and total counts they have also displayed a line for the current release. This has, for the past year, shown more release critical bugs for Etch than for Lenny.

What does this really mean? Obviously, Etch *has* been released. Apparently it has many release critical bugs. Are these bugs that have been found since Etch's release that would have been considered release critical if they had been found before its release? If so, why have they not been corrected? The number just keeps on going up.

BTW: I'm glad to see the numbers for Lenny dropping down close to the 100 mark. Looking forward to Lenny's release.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com