Re: Power saving in debian

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 00:34:34 +0100
"Adem" <for-gmane@alicewho.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> how can I use powersaving in Debian?
> I have Debian Lenny without a GUI desktop installed.
> Mostly it is accessed via ssh and svn.
> How can I configure it so that during inactivity
> the HD, CPU, fan etc lower their energy consumption?
> Since I switch off the monitor manually, is there a way to also
> power down the graphics card because it is a real power hog I think?

The hard drive can definitely be spin down automatically using power
management scripts. I think you can configure it using acpi if I'm not
mistaken.

As for the graphics card...if you don't use a monitor why not remove it
completely? As for powering it down, that won't be possible because of
the way computers are designed. The only "computer" that does this is
the OLPC.