Re: Backup Image for my needs

On 12/19/08 13:09, Nate Duehr wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:42:15PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 12/17/08 19:51, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
As far as I know, Debian doesn't have an installer feature like
OpenBSD's where you can boot the installer, set up the disk partitions,
and run restore right from there (from tape, presumably a raw drive
partition as well, I don't know).
That's one "large-systems" feature which Linux really misses.

Real large-systems aren't taken off-line or ever restored from that low a level, usually.

If they are, it's because there was 8 feet of water in the server room,

Or an idiot plumber with a brazing torch sets off the sprinklers, which dump thousands of gallons of water, which, naturally, flow down to the sub-basement data center, dropping right down on top of "my" SAN.

and even then, you probably failed over to your cold-site before it got that bad.

Unless the gov't agency who's contracted with you is too cheap to pay for a cold-site. (Of course, after the "rain shower", they wised up and now pay for the cold site.)

If you just had a hardware failure, you're probably already running on the warm/hot spare system by the time you look into it.

So... you might be thinking "mid-sized" PC-based systems.  ;-)

No, these actually are large systems. A combination of Z/OS, OpenVMS and HP-SUX all in a 24x364 DC. Lots and lots of tape silos and twice daily visits from Iron Mountain couriers.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?