Re: Backup Image for my needs

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:42:15PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/17/08 19:51, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> >As far as I know, Debian doesn't have an installer feature like
> >OpenBSD's where you can boot the installer, set up the disk partitions,
> >and run restore right from there (from tape, presumably a raw drive
> >partition as well, I don't know).
>
> That's one "large-systems" feature which Linux really misses.

I wonder if linux's dump is compatible with OpenBSD's restore?  That
would make bare-metal restores very handy.

Ron,

Much of the linux culture (the way to do things) seems to be aimed at
(developed by?) windows users.  I haven't used windows since 3.1 (and
then only for the HARPOON game).  Short of getting a job in a
"large-systems" shop (not going to happen), do you have any references,
hints, etc, on becoming more familiar with large-systems
practices/procedures/culture?

I'm sitting in front of an HP NetServer LPr PII/450 right now.  My first
foray into SCSI, hardware mgmt port (with a bit of serial console but
you can't access the bios [since there's no F2 on a VT-220]), etc.  1GB
ram, hardware RAID, yada yada.  Not as computationally powerful as my
Athlon64 (nor as physically large), but before I had it sitting on my
kitchen table, people didn't say "what the heck is that!" when they
walked in.

After Christmas, it will be a 3U LTO-2 tape library and a 12-bay
hot-swap case.  Now I just need to convince my wife that those cool IBM
racks with the smoke-glass doors would look great as a wall unit in the
livingroom.

:)

Doug.