Re: Backup Image for my needs

On 12/17/08 19:51, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 05:16:21PM -0500, Norman Bird wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations that are simply that will allow me to back
up the image of my Debian Etch box. I will store on windows box connected
via samba. i just want to be able to create the image, store on external HD
[snip]

What is the purpose of the image?

It's how things are done in the Windows world.

                                  If you just need to backup the box so
that you can reinstall on new hardware (bare-metal install) and get
up-and-running, just use simple backup software.

[snip]
the plain-text files.  Presumably you'd be able to mount it from the
newly installed system to effect the restore.

I agree with Douglas, regarding the bare-metal install.

Remember that even though GNOME & KDE look a lot like Windows, Linux is *different* than Windows, and therefore many of your habits which you think are "how computers work" are really "how Windows (doesn't) work and how to work around it".

Bottom line: the only time you should ever have to reinstall from bare metal is if you are upgrading the boot disk. (And if you are clever enough, you don't even need to do that...)

As far as I know, Debian doesn't have an installer feature like
OpenBSD's where you can boot the installer, set up the disk partitions,
and run restore right from there (from tape, presumably a raw drive
partition as well, I don't know).

That's one "large-systems" feature which Linux really misses.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?