Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

On 12/18/08 12:20, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 12/18/08 10:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 12/17/08 14:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
lostson wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
Rick Thomas <rbthomas55@pobox.com> wrote:

Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?

I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...

Thanks!

Rick

 Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
Worked like a charm for me.
No need to first manually upgrade Perl or apt?

Why not just the dist-upgrade?
Because "update" tells apt about all the new packages.

Sorry :-( I misread "upgrade" for "update"...
I was kinda wondering why you asked such an elementary question.

I am wondering why you are wondering :-)

Because he's been on this list for a long time, andshould know better.

I'm asking my self how to migrate from sarge to lenny?

Migrate first to Etch!!!

Is it more complicated question, that deserves attention?
I was also thinking to ask here, but then ... I decided not because it's
elementary ... still asking is good approach for exchanging experience.
Isn't it?

There are some questions that only a newbie should ask.

There are some questions that should only be asked after Googling, because they've probably been asked before.

I was thinking to make a copy of the system and try system upgrade
(apt-get ...), test and see what happens. This is preferred because it's a
server. If it does not work, I would install and migrate the services,
which makes also sense, because I can document some things in parallel. The
second approach is still more time consuming.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?