Re: Backup Image for my needs

On 12/17/08 21:13, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:42:15PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 12/17/08 19:51, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
As far as I know, Debian doesn't have an installer feature like
OpenBSD's where you can boot the installer, set up the disk partitions,
and run restore right from there (from tape, presumably a raw drive
partition as well, I don't know).
That's one "large-systems" feature which Linux really misses.
I wonder if linux's dump is compatible with OpenBSD's restore? That
would make bare-metal restores very handy.

Ron,

Much of the linux culture (the way to do things) seems to be aimed at
(developed by?) windows users.

Your intelligence shows in how much you think like me...

                                 I haven't used windows since 3.1 (and
then only for the HARPOON game).  Short of getting a job in a
"large-systems" shop (not going to happen), do you have any references,
hints, etc, on becoming more familiar with large-systems
practices/procedures/culture?

Not really. It's more of a mindset: the computer is not "personal", it's a shared resource so don't presume you can hog the system; multi-processing means you don't dedicate the computer to one task; "All SCSI, All The Time" (but now, of course, s/SCSI/SAN); tapes are your friend; GUIs are an evil waste of resources.

I'm sitting in front of an HP NetServer LPr PII/450 right now.  My first
foray into SCSI, hardware mgmt port (with a bit of serial console but
you can't access the bios [since there's no F2 on a VT-220]), etc.

On the external SCSI controllers I've worked with (DEC HSZs), there's no visible distinction between the management s/w and the "BIOS". You just plug in a serial cable, press <Enter> a couple of times then up pops a command prompt.

                                                                    1GB
ram, hardware RAID, yada yada.  Not as computationally powerful as my
Athlon64 (nor as physically large), but before I had it sitting on my
kitchen table, people didn't say "what the heck is that!" when they
walked in.
After Christmas, it will be a 3U LTO-2 tape library and a 12-bay
hot-swap case.  Now I just need to convince my wife that those cool IBM
racks with the smoke-glass doors would look great as a wall unit in the
livingroom.

You're a braver man than I, Charlie Brown...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?