Re: reading USB port on old Thinkpad

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:26:37PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
> I am trying to use an old Thinkpad 309e. (PII, 128M memory).  Etch runs
> fine (if slow) but I am using it as sound production
> (recording/playback) machine.
>
> Only problem is that I can't get the files OFF the laptop to
> mix/edit/burn on my home machine.  It has a USB port, but I've tried a
> few things (including some BIOS settings) and I can't get it to read my
> thumb drives (they work on all other machines, including the linux
> ones).  It does not have a cd-burner on it and I've tried to use the
> e-net cable to connect to my desktop but really don't know how to make
> that work (I was hoping it would magically read the other computer as a
> remote drive...silly me...).
>
> How do I get it to read my thumbdrive?

You haven't given us any errors to look at re the thumbdrives.  If you
run
$dmesg > pre-plug.txt
before you plug in the thumbdrive and then again after,
$dmesg > post-plug.txt

Then diff the two files, you'll see what changed and can mail it to us.
(if you just want to see what changed, look at the end of the dmesg
after you plug in the drive).

If you can't get the thumb drive to work, as for how to get the data
off, try setting up networking.  I guess that's what you mean by using
the e-net cable.  Its doesn't happen magically by plugging it in.  You
have to assign your box an IP address on whatever network you'll be
using.

Once you get a network setup, then you can use rsync, rcp, or even email
to move the files.

If you can't get the ethernet to work, that old laptop probably has a
serial port.  Get a null-modem cable and set up a ppp link between the
two computers and you can use that as a network.  Alternatively, forget
network, set up a getty on one box and minicom on the other, login and
send the files with zmodem.

You have lots of choices, but you need to pick one and tell us what you
need to know to get it working.

Doug.