Re: [OT] Server for Debian + MySQL

On Friday 2008 December 12 09:08:15 Arc Roca wrote:
>I think that the disconnect here is when one compares two different
>
>Disconnect Dis`con*nect", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Disconnected;
> p. pr. & vb. n. Disconnecting.]
> To dissolve the union or connection of; to disunite; to
> sever; to separate; to disperse.
> [1913 Webster]
>etc
>
>I have seen lately the use of verbs in place of nouns:
>disconnect in place of disconnection
>resolve in place of resolution
>etc
>I myself am not a native English speaker, but this usage sounds strange.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disconnect

I don't know how long the noun usage has been around, but I remember hearing
it as a child (20 years ago), so I'd say you just need to update your
dictionary.  (1913 Websters, really?)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/resolve

When this is used as a noun, it doesn't mean "place of resolution" or at least
not "place where resolving occurs".

Also, particularly where I come from (U.S.; specifically "The South"), English
speakers don't follow the formal rules of grammar well.  So, nouns get
verbed, and verbs get nouned, words and phrases get abbreviated, mangled, and
misunderstood, and the language evolves.  (There are probably some more
serious errors in a 1913 dictionary than not having the noun form of some
verbs.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))