Re: duplicate mail logs

On 2008-12-10 11:38 +0100, Bob Cox wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:05:28 +0100, Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:
>
>> I've just noticed that my MTA logs into both mail.info and mail.log:
>>
>> ,----
>> | %  LANG=C diff -s /var/log/mail.{info,log}
>> | Files /var/log/mail.info and /var/log/mail.log are identical
>> `----
>>
>> This is on sid with postfix as MTA and rsyslog as syslogd.  Since I
>> didn't change the default configuration for these logs AFAIK, this seems
>> to be a bug.  Anyone else seeing this with a different MTA and/or
>> different syslogd?
>>
>> I'd like to file a bug report, but don't know which package to blame.
>
> I am seeing the same running postfix on Lenny.  I have never touched any
> logging options AFAIK.  I don't think this is 'new' behaviour:
>
> gaia:/home/bob# ls -la /var/log/mail* | egrep '\.log|\.info'
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.info
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.info.1
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.info.2.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.info.3.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.info.4.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  508733 2008-12-10 10:15 /var/log/mail.log
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm 1030017 2008-12-07 05:23 /var/log/mail.log.1
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  148223 2008-11-30 06:24 /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  129061 2008-11-23 06:11 /var/log/mail.log.3.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 root adm  119684 2008-11-16 05:50 /var/log/mail.log.4.gz

Do you have any /var/log/mail.{warn,err}* files?  In /etc/rsyslog.conf I
find the following entries:

,----

`----

>From this I would assume that mail.log is a catch-all file, errors go
to mail.err, warnings to mail.warn and information to mail.info.
However, when I look into the files, the warnings and errors also show
up in mail.info which makes this file quite pointless.

Anyone here using exim4 rather than postfix who sees (or does not see)
that?

Sven