Re: [OT] Server for Debian + MySQL

kj escribió:
Anoop Aryal wrote:
Just curious, how big of a difference (indeed, what difference) does
64bit make?
It will make all the difference on a box with 16GB. On a 32bit machine, you can use a PAE enabled kernel to allow the operating system to address all the memory, but you're still stuck with a 4GB per-process limit, which means if this will be a dedicated MySQL server, you're wasting 12GB of memory.
No, you are wasting 14 GB. The 2 GB limitation is a limitation of MySQL server. PAE is good but it has a lower performance than a 64 bit platform. PAE is a workaround if you can't have a 64 bit machine if your application is only 32 bits and need too much memory.

We were looking at 64bit for running some of our Java stuff on since the
JVM on 32bit can only address so much memory. 64bit was actually slower,
at least for Java despite the JVM being able to allocate more memory
before being forced to GC.
I am not a programmer, so my understanding of why this happens is basic at best. But I belive this has to do with the increased overhead of 64bit. From what I've seen/read, 64bit applications will often use a little bit more memory.

How does something like MySQL behave on a 64bit vs a 32bit platform?
Fantastic.

--kj