Re: [OT] Server for Debian + MySQL

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 13:18 +0000, kj wrote:
> Adrian Chapela wrote:
> > I am thinking on a new server for my mision critical database server.
> > This server will have Debian OS and MySQL database server. Requisites:
> > 2 CPU (minimun), 32 GB RAM, 2 TB for mysql data files on SAS Hard
> > Disks, 500 GB for mysql binlog + system on SAS Hard Disks, RAID with
> > two channels (1 for data files and 1 for binlog).
> >
> > I am thinking in HP , one HP Proliant ML370 but it hasn't 300 GB SAS
> > on 2,5".
>

> I can't give you advice on specific hardware, but I'd tell you this:
>
> 1.  All other things being equal, get the one with the fastest possible
> disc setup.
> 2.  Make sure you put 64bit Debian on it.
> 3.  Make double sure you put 64bit Debian on it ;)

Just curious, how big of a difference (indeed, what difference) does
64bit make?

We were looking at 64bit for running some of our Java stuff on since the
JVM on 32bit can only address so much memory. 64bit was actually slower,
at least for Java despite the JVM being able to allocate more memory
before being forced to GC.

How does something like MySQL behave on a 64bit vs a 32bit platform?

> --kj

- Anoop