Re: ALSA sound recording frustration SOLVED (to a point)

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 11:28:33 -0500, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2008 12:39 pm, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Mon,01.Dec.08, 05:19:05, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > > Now I need to compile some kernel modules for VirtualBox so I need the
> > > kernel source.  Of course, it is not listed in synaptic, so now I'm in
> > > the position of rebooting between configurations that use sound and one
> > > where I can use VirtualBox.
> >
> > Huh? What have you been looking for? The source packages are named like
> > linux-source-2.6.18
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> (quick review...no sound with linux 2.6.18 kernel...downloaded musix kernel
> which has ALSA 1.0.16 and sound works...but I use VirtualBox and it needs to
> compile kernel modules to work...but there is no source for the musix kernel.

Whoever distributes the musix kernel is required to provide the sources,
otherwise they would be in violation of the GPL. Most probably they will
also provide headers for their compiled kernels, but the Debian user
list is not a good place to find someone who knows where the musix
sources and headers can be found. Also, I would expect that building the
vboxdrv module with module-assistant works better with a Debian kernel.

> I see that there is an upgrade to the debian kernel 2.6.24.  How do I find out
> what version of ALSA that kernel has?

This information might be given in the release notes of Etch+1/2 or in
the upstream information for kernel 2.6.24. If you cannot find anything
there then you can download the common linux-headers package for 2.6.24
and extract include/sound/version.h:

$ aptitude download '~n^linux-headers-2.6.24.*-common$'
$ ar p linux-headers-2.6.24-*-common* data.tar.gz | tar -zxO --wildcards "*include/sound/version.h"
/* include/version.h.  Generated by alsa/ksync script.  */
#define CONFIG_SND_VERSION "1.0.15"
#define CONFIG_SND_DATE " (Tue Nov 20 19:16:42 2007 UTC)"

Unfortunately, Etch+1/2 only has ALSA 1.0.15.

> Assuming that it is the wrong version of ALSA, where can I find detailed
> instructions for downloading and compiling the newer ALSA
> kernel(?)/modules(?) so that I can use sound and VirtualBox at the same time?

Linux images for kernel 2.6.26 (which has ALSA 1.0.16) are available in
etch-backports. The virtualbox-ose-* packages are also included in the
backports, so it should be possible to build the vboxdrv module for the
2.6.26-bpo kernel using module-assistant.

          Florian   |