Hosts List (ARP?)

Hi there,

I got a debian box with a shorewall setup
Every client will have gateway pointing to debian and it works ok currently
on /etc/hosts file, i got this line:

192.168.1.1    debian
192.168.1.2    myxp

but then, even from myxp box, when I try to ping with command:

C:\>ping debian
Ping request could not find host debian. Please check the name and try again.

Why is that?
Ive got dnsmasq installed and using shorewall with ppp0 connected to a bridged modem
here are some snip of conf files that might worth to mention:

/etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          files dns
networks:       files
protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files
netgroup:       nis

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 203.12.160.35
nameserver 203.12.160.36

I dont see (cant find) any conf value inside /etc/dnsmasq.conf that being enabled
From what my understanding, nsswitch.conf with line nosts: files dns, means that it
will try to read /etc/hosts first before pass it to dns which is resolv.conf

How will I get myxp' box read hosts listed on /etc/hosts?
Apart from installing BIND, is there any package able to auto-add /etc/hosts if
there is a new box being pluged into the network?

Please correct my understanding if I am wrong about any words I mentioned here

Cheers

      Start your day with Yahoo!7 and win a Sony Bravia TV. Enter now http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/?p1=other&p2=au&p3=tagline