Re: Record or Download RTMPT Stream

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 14:48:09 -0700, wauhugo AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
I can playback the stream through the speakers and record it from the microphone with the sound recorder application. (with added noise and worse quality) Is there any better way to download or record such RTMPT streams for offline use?

(running SID amd64 HDA nForce sound chip)
Test if mplayer can play the stream:

mplayer rtmpt://stream.servername.com/stream/filename.mp3
results with: No stream found to handle URL: rtmpt://stream...
If mplayer does not work (it cannot play certain compressed flash
streams AFAIK) then you can play the stream with the flash application
and capture the sound directly from the ALSA device (instead of going
via speakers and microphone). The trick is to set the correct capture
device; with alsamixer (from package alsa-utils) you can press TAB to
see the capture devices. You probably have to set the capture device to
"Mix" and adjust the volume, then it should be possible to capture what
is played with e.g. the arecord utility. If you prefer GUI applications
to record, audacity should work as well, provided you set the right
capture device.
Thank you for these informations. I had never used audacity before.

I have made some tests and further reading, but no result so far.

man arecord speaks about the ".asoundrc" file. Where can I find this file on my Debian system (SID amd64)? Other pages, found with google, mention the "/etc/asound.conf" file. Where is this file to be found on a Debian system (SID amd64)?

Others proposed to use JACK. But running jackd -d alsa reduces the available RECORDING DEVICES in AUDACITY to ZERO (not one device available). How can JACK be configured and be used to redirect the sound from a stream, which is playing to a RECORDING DEVICE?
arecord with -D surround41 ... surround51 results in an error message.
The other devices result in recording nothing at all (digital) or from the BUILTIN MICROPHONE, for which - silly me in this case - I had taken much effort to have it repaired/connected/built-in by HP's service within the time of warranty - and they have done it for me.
These are the devices: $ arecord -lL
default:CARD=NVidia
   HDA NVidia, CONEXANT Analog
   Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, CONEXANT Analog
   Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, CONEXANT Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, CONEXANT Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, CONEXANT Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, CONEXANT Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, CONEXANT Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
   HDA NVidia, Conexant Digital
   IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
default:CARD=VirMIDI
   VirMIDI
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
 Subdevices: 1/1
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

same effect with AUDACITY, which knows only these two recording devices:

  1.     ALSA: default
  2.     ALSA: HDA NVidia: CONEXANT Analog (hw:0,0)

The Analog devices records from the (newly) built-in mic.

Further help is appreciated.

Hugo Wau