Re: lynx and readme.gz

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 03:30:09AM +0100, lee wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 04:07:50PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 04:40:07AM +0100, lee wrote:
> > > Hm, there seem to be lots of options in lynx.cfg, but almost
> > > everything is disabled. The file has 3569 lines, but only 34 lines are
> > > not empty and don't start with a "." or a "#". And there is no manpage
> > > about lynx.cfg.
> >
> > Most of those "3569 lines" are comments which document lynx.cfg
> > They can be formatted into a hypertext document
> > (which doesn't appear to be part of the Debian package).
> > There's an example here:
> >
> > 	http://lynx.isc.org/release/lynx2-8-6/lynx_help/cattoc.html
>
> Ok, 628 lines don't seem to be comments but options, of which 34 are
> explicitly set. That still doesn't tell me how to enable lynx to
> display the files I would like to read.
>
> The web page looks good --- but it seems to tell me that it isn't
> possible to have a setting to reject all cookies in the
> ~/.lynxrc. Lynx itself won't save that setting, either, and I'm tired
> of changing the setting every time myself.

Which setting is that?  (If it's in the "options" menu, that can be changed
using the ENABLE_LYNXRC feature).

> So how do you make lynx display gziped files?

Actually you tell lynx to tell the server that it can display gzip'd files.
Then (if the server cooperates), it'll deliver gzip'd files, and lynx
will display them.

.h2 PREFERRED_ENCODING
# When doing a GET, lynx tells what types of compressed data it can decompress
# (the "Accept-Encoding:" string).  This is determined by compiled-in support
# for decompression or external decompression programs.
#
# Values for this option are keywords:
#       NONE            Do not request compressed data
#       GZIP            For gzip
#       COMPRESS        For compress
#       BZIP2           For bzip2
#       ALL             All of the above.
#PREFERRED_ENCODING:all

(not all servers cooperate - and of course lynx _could_ be built without
gzip support - but this is where it's configured at runtime in lynx).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net