Re: Record or Download RTMPT Stream

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 14:48:09 -0700, wauhugo AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
> A stream named like "rtmpt://stream.servername.com/stream/filename.mp3"
> is part of the line in a flash application and can be played back in a
> flash-thingy on some website. (it contains more than an hour of speech)
>

> The downloader ORBIT, which runs with wine and firefox does not
> recognize this stream at all in the respective website. (So this does
> not work for me)
>

> I can playback the stream through the speakers and record it from the
> microphone with the sound recorder application. (with added noise and
> worse quality)
>

> Is there any better way to download or record such RTMPT streams for
> offline use?
>
> I could capture the network frames with wireshark if there was some kind
> of application to select the respective frames, extract the stream and
> put the sound (mp3?) file together again. Does anything like this exist?
>

> (running SID amd64 HDA nForce sound chip)

Test if mplayer can play the stream:

mplayer rtmpt://stream.servername.com/stream/filename.mp3

If this works then you can save the audio in the original format by
using the -dumpaudio option, see manpage of mplayer.

If mplayer does not work (it cannot play certain compressed flash
streams AFAIK) then you can play the stream with the flash application
and capture the sound directly from the ALSA device (instead of going
via speakers and microphone). The trick is to set the correct capture
device; with alsamixer (from package alsa-utils) you can press TAB to
see the capture devices. You probably have to set the capture device to
"Mix" and adjust the volume, then it should be possible to capture what
is played with e.g. the arecord utility. If you prefer GUI applications
to record, audacity should work as well, provided you set the right
capture device.

          Florian   |