Re: Erase cache, clean registry in Linux

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 16:25, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

>You probably have been using applications that create thumbnails more
>than I did. I'm using some gnome applications, but I'm not using
>gnome ...

I probably just have more pics than you. gthumb is probably the only
app I use regularly that uses thumbnails (I use Awesome and a lot
of CLI apps).

> So how do I find out which programs create these thumbnails?

strace can monitor every file a program opens, so:

strace -e trace=open app_to_test 2> trace.txt

then search trace.txt for thumbnails

Also, i just found an interesting bug report for gnome

It is now fixed, and gnome-settings-daemon >= 2.24
now prunes the thumbnails dir if it is greater than 64 MB
at login. I know I don't really want to g-s-d just to trim

I have thought for a while that some sort of lightweight
CLI-level session management (beyond simple shell
login and logout scripts) would be nice for a number
of things, including things like this.

Kelly Clowers