Re: Reinstalling Packages after Rebuilding System with Etch

On Monday 24 November 2008 21:13, Andrew Reid wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2008 15:05, Martin McCormick wrote:
> > 	I am going to backup my sarge system, install with the
> > etch-and-a-half CDROM and then I want to put back all the extra
> > packages such as alsa, calc and many more that I have installed
> > over time but, of course, do this as automatically as practical
> > as well as get the etch versions of everything.
> >
> > 	The plan is to do dpkg -l on the existing system to list
> > everything that is installed and then use dpkg to go get
> > comparable packages to replace what was there before.
> >
> > A. Will this work?
> >
> > B. Is there a better text-based way?

[ Cloning technique... ]

  OK, hit "send" too fast -- I hadn't appreciated that
you are migrating from "Sarge" to "Etchnhalf" while doing
this.

  The package-cloning idea still might work, but I have never
tried it as an upgrade technique, only to restore the package
state when recovering from disk failure.

  Probably if you take some care with editing the package
list, it would be fine.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net