Re: Q: List Policy

On Monday 24 November 2008 02:32:14 Chris Bannister wrote:
> What harm? What's worse; rec a CC or missing out on crucial
> help/information?

    That depends, whose perspective?

> We are talking about newbies here.

    No, we're talking about the list in general and how a policy to coddle
newbies effects it.  Which is why the question above.  To the newbie who can't
figure out "go to the same place you went to post to get an answer" the "harm"
is that they don't get a reply.  To the list where the policy is to CC on
every message every person who participates has to enact some sort of manual
or automatic filtering for the plethora of cruft with which they will be
inundated.

    Most people are newbies once.  Having to filter useless CCs is a lifetime
problem.  So on balance the more harm goes to the inconvenience of dozens to
thousands of people in perpetuity.

    At its core a CC-everyone-on-all-list-replies is harmful in the exact same
manner filtering spam via Challenge-Reponse is harmful.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/challenge-response.html

    It foists the responsibility which should land on the individual onto many
innocent third parties.

--
         Steve C. Lamb         | But who can decide what they dream
       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |      and dream I do