Re: Reinstalling Packages after Rebuilding System with Etch

Martin:
First you dont have to reinstall, you can change the soureces.list file, replacing the sarge with etch, and then do an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, that's will take some time and bandwith, but few things get brocken. Well actually several, didn't work after I upgrade my mail server, postfix, amavisd, clamav, spamassassin, gld, mailman, dovecont, and a few non importan web stuff, mysql and postgres. Some stuff needed work to get back on line but I fix it and it was faster than clean install/config everithing. What I do advice you to do in case u have spare box or backup space is to backup the entire instalation. Or better if u have s imilar box mirror copy the server there and then test the update there, to see what gets broken and how do you fix it.
Cheers, and good luck
Martin McCormick escribió:
	I am going to backup my sarge system, install with the
etch-and-a-half CDROM and then I want to put back all the extra
packages such as alsa, calc and many more that I have installed
over time but, of course, do this as automatically as practical
as well as get the etch versions of everything.

	The plan is to do dpkg -l on the existing system to list
everything that is installed and then use dpkg to go get
comparable packages to replace what was there before.

A. Will this work?

B. Is there a better text-based way?

	I noticed that the list I got from dpkg -l lists such
things as bash and a huge number of other packages that are part
of the base system. Will dpkg -E help prevent redoing and
possibly breaking things that are already there when it comes
time to add all the extra packages?

Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK Systems Engineer