Re: Reinstalling Packages after Rebuilding System with Etch

Martin McCormick wrote:

> I am going to backup my sarge system, install with the
> etch-and-a-half CDROM and then I want to put back all the extra
> packages such as alsa, calc and many more that I have installed
> over time but, of course, do this as automatically as practical
> as well as get the etch versions of everything.
>
> The plan is to do dpkg -l on the existing system to list
> everything that is installed and then use dpkg to go get
> comparable packages to replace what was there before.
>
> A. Will this work?
>
> B. Is there a better text-based way?
>
> I noticed that the list I got from dpkg -l lists such
> things as bash and a huge number of other packages that are part
> of the base system. Will dpkg -E help prevent redoing and
> possibly breaking things that are already there when it comes
> time to add all the extra packages?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> Systems Engineer
> OSU Information Technology Department Telecommunications Services Group

Hello, this thread is of a particular interest for me, because I'm also
planning to upgrade my sarge server in the next few months.
I asked few times but don't remember to get exact answer when lenny will go
stable. Anyway I'm not sure if I should upgrade the server to lenny or wait
until lenny gets stable.
I've been migrating/upgrading several time especially my notebook and I used
the dpkg --get-selections after doing a full backup.

ON the server I have 2 disks in a raid and I spent about 100€ to build a
copy of the system, so I have same machine with other 2 disks. To try the
upgrade I would replace a disk from the raid and resync and use the free
disk in the second server and resync. at this point both of them are
identical ... so apt-get dist-upgrade on the test server will show how good
it is working. the question still is what is the best version to take -
etch or lenny?

thanks and regards