Re: playing multimedia over my local network - how?

On 11/21/08 17:16, H.S. wrote:
Mike Castle wrote:
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:04 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>From a little search, I have seen somebody mention NFS for which I
apparently need 2.6.27 kernel (not in Testing yet, so that option is
out). The other option seems to be to stream video -- is this really
necessary in this situation? And it won't help much with photo browsing
anyway.
Huh?

NFS has been in the kernel for ages.  Or is there some special feature
this is referring to?  Or did you mean something other than NFS?

I personally use both NFS and a webserver pointing to that same share.

Sorry, my bad. I meant to write 'NFS exporting'. I read this web page
for this:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=6498

Ah. That's specific to multimedia, not the NFS "share exporting" that we are all used to. And is specific to DVDs, not ripped files.

What you *could* do is *mount* the DVD and then play (via vlc) the mount-point. You'd need "regular NFS".

Ripped movies would work the same way, since you'd be treating the "media system" as a plain old file server, and the "multimedia" work would be done on the client.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!