Re: Any textual web browser handling javascript?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:13:55AM EST, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:28:49PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:22:06PM EST, Michael Marsh wrote:
> > > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Used to be true of google in general.
> >
> > Their "advanced search" page is now regrettably using stuff, presumably
> > js.. that no longer "gracefully degrades" (nice formulation, by the way)
> > when using a text-only browser such as elinks.
> >
> > On the other hand they do have "text versions" of many of their pages.
> >

> I don't have javascript enabled on my normal user account's browsers
> (Konq or Iceweasel) yet the advanced search page works just fine.  (I
> have a separate user for use with javascript and flash).

Maybe they degrade more gracefully than elinks?

I dug up my old version of js-enabled elinks and checked that I was not
getting any js not enabled error messages on a couple of js test sites.

Proceeded to display the advanced search google page and it's quite a
mess to look at.

I enabled elinks js error reporting feature and saw 3-4 popups with js
error message when I hit CTRL-R to refresh the page.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback .. Since this is an old version of
elinks I still had in my sarge partition, I'll download the current
tarball and see if the situation has improved.

Again, if anyone is using elinks and have js enabled, I'd be curious to
see screenshots of pages that make intensive use of it like Yahoo! or
slashdot .. just to make sure I'm doing things right and getting what I
should be getting.

By "intensive" I mean that in html source about one word in five is
"javascript" .. or thereabouts.

Thanks!

CJ