Re: dynamic resolv.conf issues

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 23:23 -0700, green wrote:
> On Wed, 2008.11.19, 324, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > >
> > > Is the 'resolvconf' package installed?  If so, the resolvconf(8) man page
> > > outlines how to include nameservers in /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > Interesting.  THIS box does not have dns-nameservers x.x.x.x in
> > interfaces, it is Lenny, updated to current and does not suffer from
> > this problem.
> >
> > I have never installed that dns- line in interfaces before.
> >
> > This box (call it A):
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 192.168.200.15
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.200.1
> > auto eth0
> >
> > damon@dam-main:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > domain damtek.org
> > search damtek.org
> > nameserver 68.87.68.162
> > nameserver 68.87.74.162
> > nameserver 68.87.64.196
> >

> > The bad box (call it B)
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 192.168.200.18
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.200.1
> > auto eth0
> >
> > damon@dam-secondary:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > nameserver 192.168.200.1
> >
> > ------------------
> >
> > Both run current Lenny.  A pulls it's dns from what looks like my home
> > router.  B does not.  I might have put that dns info there in the past,
> > but if so, it does not get overwritten.  I still don't know what is
> > overwritting my B box resolv.conf or why my A box does not suffer from
> > the same fate.
>
> So, which of boxes A and B have the 'resolvconf' package installed?  It seems
> like B does not but A does.  If A does not, then something else is modifying
> the /etc/resolv.conf file which I think should not.
>
> The purpose of resolvconf is to manage the list of nameservers as interfaces
> (and their respective nameservers) come and go.

Yes, you are right.  B has resolvconf, A does not.  Also worth noting is
that B has stopped dumping my nameserver 192.168.200.1  (after a few
daily updates to testing).  I will have to look into this resolvconf and
see how resolv.conf.d fits into this.  Thanks, I missed the glaring CLUE
in your first response about resolvconf and just jumped to reading the
man page for resolvconf.  One more piece put together for me.

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>