dynamic resolv.conf issues

First saw this on a test install of ubuntu 8.10.  resolv.conf would not
keep nameserver x.x.x.x data.  Fixed that by nuking Ubuntu and installed
Debian testing.

A few days ago, I started seeing the same behavior when I reboot:  no
namserver data in the dynamically generated resolv.conf.  I can fix this
by using the gnome-network-manager or echo 'nameserver x.x.x.x'
>/etc/resolv.conf

In the case of ubuntu this was caused by a buggy
nm-configuration-manager IIRC.  Once you left DHCP you could not effect
any changes via the gui tool (permission denied to write).

On Lenny, I am not running that tool.  What is overwriting my
resolv.conf and how do I keep the correct data while using static IP?

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>