Re: Q: List Policy

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 04:27:47AM +0100, s. keeling wrote:
> Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:
> >  On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:30:04AM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
> > > makes this mistake, though.  And I seem to remember a few posts where it
> > > was brought up that some users who post are not subscribed.  So, go
> > > figure.
> >
> >  Catch 22 -- if they are not subscribed they will not be able to read
> >  any .sig file asking to be cc'd if not subscribed. Also they will not
> >  rec any replies if not subscribed. :(
>
> I'm not sure I understand that.

If a newbie isn't subscribed and they send a message to the list (not
knowing CoC) they will not rec a reply to their problem unless they hunt
for it on the website. This may cause the newbie to go back to Vista. :-(

One of the *BSD mailing lists explicitly CC's because there are newbies
posting.

[..]
> >  It makes more sense to either not allow posting unless subscribed
> >  or have an open list but cc unless they explicitly request not be
> >  cc'd.
>
> I'm not subscribed, and haven't been for years.  I read the list in
> the nntp "mail to news gateway" (cf. Usenet).  Don't assume people are
> only going to do it in the ways you know of.  There may be/likely are
> many other ways.

No doubt, but I don't see the relevance. Am I wrong to assume newbies
may not do this.

> >  Can anyone explain why the current policy is sane?
>
> History.  It makes sense if you know why the choices were made, a long
> time ago, using much different software, and much different user
> mores.  With current (read "possibly compliant") software, it's a
> shot in the dark, requiring much research to find software that either
> works as it should or works as *it* thinks is best.  I prefer the former.

I mean with regarding to not CCing on an open list. I don't think it has
anything to do with software.

> Back on topic, I've been using the .sig below for years, and the
> "Please don't Cc: me" has also been ignored for years.

That is a problem. On the bright side, at least you don't miss out on
your reply.

> Perhaps we need one of the listmasters to enforce the usage
> guidelines?  Post HTML or Cc: too often, and ...

Why can't we "police" ourselves? Normally, a polite message to the
offender is sufficient. Unfortunately, HTML postings are occurring quite
regularly, so any polite message is likely to be taken as a "why pick on
me, lots of other people are doing it."

Basically, what I'm saying is "If the poster seems to be a newbie then
CC them, maybe with a note saying if they are subscribed then ask to
drop the CC. Obviously, this doesn't apply to regular posters, or
posters with an @debian.org address, etc."

--
Chris.
======