Re: Q: List Policy

Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz>:
>  On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:30:04AM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
> > makes this mistake, though.  And I seem to remember a few posts where it
> > was brought up that some users who post are not subscribed.  So, go
> > figure.
>
>  Catch 22 -- if they are not subscribed they will not be able to read
>  any .sig file asking to be cc'd if not subscribed. Also they will not
>  rec any replies if not subscribed. :(

I'm not sure I understand that.

Tangentially, I notice the web interface to the archives
strips/doesn't add in the first place, the list .sig to posts archived
there.  On the other hand, it explicitly splits the reply-to function
into reply-to-list, to poster-on-list, and to poster-off-list, which I
think is nice.

>  It makes more sense to either not allow posting unless subscribed
>  or have an open list but cc unless they explicitly request not be
>  cc'd.

I'm not subscribed, and haven't been for years.  I read the list in
the nntp "mail to news gateway" (cf. Usenet).  Don't assume people are
only going to do it in the ways you know of.  There may be/likely are
many other ways.

>  Can anyone explain why the current policy is sane?

History.  It makes sense if you know why the choices were made, a long
time ago, using much different software, and much different user
mores.  With current (read "possibly compliant") software, it's a
shot in the dark, requiring much research to find software that either
works as it should or works as *it* thinks is best.  I prefer the former.

Back on topic, I've been using the .sig below for years, and the
"Please don't Cc: me" has also been ignored for years.

Perhaps we need one of the listmasters to enforce the usage
guidelines?  Post HTML or Cc: too often, and ...

Nah.  Dumb idea.

Love your .sig, btw.  :-)